Cinnamon Swirl Buns
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 3 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 6 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar
Recipe from Cuisinart Recipe Booklet
These cinnamon swirl buns are the best! They take a long time to make but are worth the wait!
|Preheat:||350 ° F|
|Prep Time:||2 hrs|
|Cook Time:||25-35 min|
|Ready In:||3 hrs|
- Place warm milk and yeast in Cuisinart mixing bowl with a pinch of the sugar and stir. Let stand until foamy, about 5-10 min.
- Insert the flat mixing paddle. Add remaining sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs. Mix on speed 1 for 1 minute.
- Add salt and 3 cups of the flour. Mix on speed 1 until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Scrape the bowl and paddle.
- Remove the flat mixing paddle and insert the dough hook. Remove and reserve 1/2 cup of remaining flour.
- While mixing on speed 2, add the larger portion of flour 1/3 cup at a time, allowing the flour to be almost totally incorporated before each addition.
- If dough is too sticky or does not form a “loose” ball that cleans the sides of the bowl, add enough of the remaining flour 1 tbsp at a time until it does.
- Mix on speed 3 for 8 minutes to kneed the dough.
- Transfer to a large greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 60-90 minutes in warm draft-free place.
- Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Punch dough to deflate. Divide into 2 equal pieces and let rest 10 minutes.
- Lightly coat 2 baking pans with cooking spray. Flatten each portion into rectangles about 15×8 inches.
- Spread softened butter within 1/2 inch of one long side and to the edge of all other sides. Sprinkle each with sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Roll as for a jelly roll, ending with unbuttered side. Pinch along side to seal. Cut each roll with serrated knife into 15 equal pieces and arrange on pans.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake buns for 25-35 minutes, until puffed with golden tops, and hollow sounding when tapped.
- CREAM CHEESE: While baking, insert the flat paddle and whip cream cheese and butter on speed 8 for about 1 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape the bowl and paddle. Add vanilla and milk and whisk on speed 8 until blended.
- Add half the icing sugar. Stir on speed 1 until sugar is incorporated. Add remaining icing sugar and stir on speed 1 until incorporated.
- Mix on speed 8 for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
Take butter, sour cream, cream cheese, and eggs out several hours before baking so they are room temperature.