- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 6 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp ground ginger (heaping)
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon (heaping)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves (heaping)
- 1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper
Recipe from christmas-cookies.com
The most spicy recipe I have found. These cookies taste best when left to sit a day in the fridge before baking.
|Preheat:||350 ° F|
|Prep Time:||15 min|
|Cook Time:||8-10 min|
|Ready In:||12 hrs|
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and molasses.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Divide dough into thirds and wrap each third in plastic wrap. Chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough between 2 pieces of wax paper. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer shapes to ungreased cookie sheets.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Then bake for 8-10 minutes or until crispy, not dark.
If you are going to use the cookies for decoration, make a hole for the cord by poking with a toothpick as soon as they come out of the oven.