- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 3 tbsp butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt (optional)
- 3 large eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
Recipe from Company's Coming: Gifts from the Kitchen
KHAH-lah is sometimes made in a four-strand braid, but you may find three strands easier. This is a showpiece loaf, large enough to make a perfect centerpiece. You can also divide the dough and make two smaller braids.
|Preheat:||400 ° F|
|Prep Time:||2 hrs|
|Cook Time:||20-25 min|
|Ready In:||2 hrs 30 min|
|Servings:||1 loaf (24 slices)|
- In small bowl, mix 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp sugar. Then sprinkle yeast. Let stand for 10 min.
- In large bowl combine 1/2 cup water, and butter. Cool.
- Beat in 2 tbsp sugar, salt, eggs, and yeast mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Add 2 c flour, knead in remaining 3 c until smooth.
- Grease bowl and place dough in, turning once. Cover and rise in oven with light on for 1 hr 15 min.
- Punch dough and divide into 3 ropes. Pinch together and braid. Cover and rise 35 min.
- Combine egg and water, brush dough with mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 17-20 min.